Dust flux, Vostok ice core

Dust flux, Vostok ice core
Two dimensional phase space reconstruction of dust flux from the Vostok core over the period 186-4 ka using the time derivative method. Dust flux on the x-axis, rate of change is on the y-axis. From Gipp (2001).

Monday, August 21, 2017

Dark sun

Well, I had another go at the question of digital vs film photography today, with filom coming out on top (somewhat retrospectively).

In 1994 (I think) we had a solar eclipse in southern Ontario, which I photographed with the old Nikkormat, a telephoto lens, and a teleconverter. I don't remember the details, but I'm pretty sure I was working with the smallest possible aperture setting and the fastest shutter speed. I remember aiming the camera just by using the shadow it cast upon the ground (easy as I had the camera on a tripod). Tragically, the time of totality was blotted out by cloud cover, but I did take a number of pictures as the eclipse progressed.





Scarborough, 1994

The above pictures were scanned from slides taken during the eclipse all those years ago.

Below is the best I could manage today. Of course, I left the DSLR in China, so this is really just a point-and-shoot camera.


I haven't managed any form of post-processing that makes the sun appear like a crescent, although the lens flare at the lower right does have the approximate shape that I obtained through a pinhole projection.

No comments:

Post a Comment